Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A hard post

As many of you know I lost my first Chihuahua 3 months after Cara. It was so unbelievably hard to let him go. He slipped a disk was paralyzed and needed emergency spine surgery one week after I lost Cara. He learned to walk again, however the disease progressed and we had to let go. Almost 4 years later I STILL cry thinking of him.
  It was very hard on our Pit Bull Gia as well. She looked for him and cried by Charlies kennel. It was her very best friend and she was his protector, sleeping by his cage after surgery. Almost immediately I added little Arthur to our family.
I needed some form of happiness as I just lost BOTH of my babies. Arthur was ironically born one week after Cara. Any of you that KNOW me in real life, know HOW MUCH of an animal lover I am!

When Carter began to walk it was clear Arthur was not fond of that. Arthur was NEVER EVER aggressive, being the sweetest little dog who just wanted to be held. Arthur began marking (peeing) in front of Carter's room daily. Never downstairs only near or in Carter's room. It eventually progressed to some drapery downstairs. We found ourselves living with EVERY area of our home gated off. We were living in a cage if you will. But that was ok if that is what kept Arthur from marking. As Carter aged and his love for animals grew he loved to pet and hold them chasing Gia and playing cars on her. Arthur grew very very scared of Carter. (Arthur is only 6 lbs so I can imagine I would be scared too.) Because our home was gated he had no where to get away and run and hide. Carter was never mean but Arthur would shake all day long. I began to realize that because Emery will eventually be a toddler that it is not the kind of life Arthur deserved.

I used to volunteer at an animal shelter and I vowed to myself I would never ever give up an animal to a shelter. I would do whatever I could for them. However in this instance we decided to reach out to people we knew to find a home for Arthur. Eventually we did. Last Friday I said goodbye to my sweet Arthur and he went to live in his new home with a woman whos kids are grown and has a 8 year old Maltese. I can only hope and pray that Arthur will live his life with her fear free and loved. I always worry that no one could love him like I could. I think about him all day long. It was a VERY difficult decision and most of Friday was spent in tears. I wonder if he misses me. I hope he does not and that I am only a distant memory for him. His new owner said I could come visit. I am going to give it a few months before I do. But I want to for closure to know he is happy and has settled. Arthur was only 3 so it was just not fair to live his life in fear. We don't know why or how he grew so fearful. We will miss him every day.

Gia is sad. She looks for him when she is outside and she has been very mopey. She is also 8 years old with a torn ACL and in a body brace. Poor Gia having to say goodbye to another friend.


Fairwell Arthur. We love you!

0 comments: