Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, June 17, 2011

Babies first pool day!

Today was my little man's first day in the pool. First things first. YES I DID PUT SUNSCREEN ON HIM. SPF 50. I know you are not supposed to. BUT it was 90 degrees out, and what am I supposed to do keep him out of the sun all summer. There is so much "Dont do this, Dont do that...this is harmful this is not"  I feel like there is a back and forth mumbo jumbo. I looked into it and decided sunscreen was what my baby needs! I did not glob it on, I used the spray and away we went. No rashes and all is good! :) I am learning to do what is right for me and my baby! Everything is "Toxic" everything causes "cancer" soon we will not be able to walk out of our own homes without a bubble.

He never cried once. I had him on his back, tummy, splashing etc. LOVES IT. He will be like his mom! I was on the swim yeam when I was younger and grew up with an in-ground pool in my backyard. I was a FISH! It is very important for my son to learn how to swim and love the water. I was a lifeguard and swim instructor for 4 years so I will be teaching him how to swim. I taught private lessons at my home, and even taught a terrified child to learn to go under the water! I was successful with a lot of younger children when I taught, and I even taught a child with special needs. (betcha didnt know that one)

Lyla and Amelia were of course there today with us! We wore those babies out!

6 comments:

Shae said...

Girl...do ya damn thang!
My little boy has been swimming on his own (under water) since the beginning of Spring/Summer & he was only 9 months old.
I would have put him in at a younger age, but we had to wait for the weather to warm up. HA!
Carter is YOURS! Take your cues from your baby. He will let you know if he doesn't like it.
Otherwise, go with your maternal instincts. We all know you don't want to endanger your baby. :)
Doctors & such have to tell you certain things because they don't want to be held liable. People sue them all the time for things like that, so they just tell you that to cover themselves...that's my thoughts anyway.
Y'all have fun! I know my boy loves the water. We can't get enough. :)

brigette said...

so stinking cute!! Your such a good mama!!

Tarsh said...

Just adorable! Great to hear you had a wonderful day!

Journeys of The Zoo said...

When it comes to YOUR child, do what YOU think is right (for what it's worth, what you did sounds totally reasonable).

It's unfortunate that you/we feel like we have to justify all of our actions. Our parents never put suntan lotion, lifejackets, etc... on us and we turned out okay (well, nothing that you can put your finger on, smile).

I know that we KNOW better now but still, we're doing the best we can with the information that we have (just like our parents).

Good for you for taking Carter swimming, a feat that I have yet to tackle (this summer, for sure, maybe...). I'm sure that I'll be hearing about that (from my MIL) soon enough.

Love your blog.

Abigail said...

I think you are doing an excellent job of getting yourself informed of the pros and cons of the do's and don't's of being a Mommy. I take the same approach as you do, and that is, I do what feels right for me and my family. How awesome that both babies enjoyed their first time at the pool. I am sure Carter will be a fishy just like his Mommy!!!

Holly said...

yay for pool time!! they always look so cute in those little suits!