Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

First trip to Labor and Delivery

Yesterday was my first trip in 35 weeks. I am happy I made it to 35 weeks without being admitted, but yesterday was a different story.

I didnt feel so hot the whole day. I went in to the office for my normal BPP. (Ultrasound) I started feeling a bit dizzy, so I asked if someone could take my BP. The nurse came in and took it three times, not telling me the reading the first two. The last reading was 128/86. They sent me over to Labor and Delivery. Don't get me wrong I am so glad they did. I DO NOT want to get sick. I would rather be delivered early than sit around and wait for Preeclampsia. NO THANK YOU!

I was admitted around 2:30. They did blood draws and started a 24 hour urine. The staff was wonderful and it was a great experience. On my way to the hospital I cried. I was nervous, but once being there I was reassured. I was hooked up to fetal monitors and Carter was doing fantastic. I was having contractions left and right, but they are not worried. Around 8 pm, I was finally sent home. My blood work came back normal, platelets dropped a bit from 290 to 230, but no worries. I am now on modified bed rest. No cleaning, working, shopping, etc...I can get my legs waxed, hair done etc...I am really proud of myself for making it working even if it was only 3 days a week until 35 weeks. I really wish I could work these next two weeks for financial reasons, but I understand why I can't. My bosses have been wonderful and told me to enjoy my leave. Something I was not able to do last time for obvious reasons.

I am doubting that Carter will make it to his amnio. For the shear reason that I know if things progress in any which way I will deliver. I am told to take my BP daily and if my bottom number reaches 90 to call in right away. This am right out of bed I was already at 114/89. My top number has never ever given me trouble, its always been my bottom. Of course it has to be the number they worry about. I was told I have Clonus also known as hyperflexia as well as Labile pressures.

Clonus is defined as alternate involuntary muscular contraction and relaxation in rapid succession.

Labile pressures are defined as blood pressure that fluctuates abruptly and repeatedly, often causing symptoms such as headache or ringing in the ears. People with labile hypertension often react to emotional stress with an increase in blood pressure. Frequently, traditional blood-pressure medicines have little effect.

So thats me and where we are at right now.

One more tidbit I would like to add. Its so ironic. The day I was admitted with Cara was a tuesday, and my furniture was being delivered. Yesterday was a tuesday, and my furniture was being delivered. 

11 comments:

The Mac's House said...

So relieved to read that you're still doing well and that the trip to L&D was for the most part uneventful.

I'm still saying my prayers for you and Carter to make it to an awesome delivery.

Take care,
Teri

PS: Thanks for the definitions, it is interesting to learn new terminology.

Rebecca said...

Hi Laura, I have never commented before. I discovered your story, Facebook page and blog through Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope. I am a fellow BLM, and I just wanted to say that I have been so moved by your story as well as your courage, strength, and grace. I have 2 rainbow babies and I am so exited for you to meet your little one on the way! You will be holding and kissing him and changing his diapers before you know it. Keep us updated and I am praying for you everyday. <3

Jill said...

I am so glad you were released and everything went well. Carter is anxious to meet his pretty mama! Carter is going to do SO WELL whenever he makes it here, I just KNOW IT. I worried for you but I knew you have a great doctor and they are watching and making sure of every single thing. And what an ending note about the Tuesday with both the furniture and everything. You have that beautiful angel watching over you, I truely believe and know it. You are doing this Laura. And I just read on a thing how the latest thing for celeb moms and now "normal" people, they get primped and pampered before the big day! You will look fab whatever you do or don't do! Cant WAIT to meet this little man! xoxoxo

Abigail said...

So glad that you & Carter are doing well. Thank goodness you have doctors & nurses that react. Better to be safe then sorry. So happy to hear that your experience was a good one. I am sure that put you at ease as well, so if you deliver before you're scheduled you can rest easy knowing you are in good hands & this team will help you stay calm & relaxed. I was on modified bed rest this last pregnancy & it does get boring but you do what you have to do to have a happy healthy baby. Looking forward to seeing pics of Carter's furniture put together in his room!! How ironic the similarities in you getting the furniture delivered on Tuesdays w/ both babies. Glad the outcome this time around was different then the last time. Thanks for the update

Lisette said...

I am glad that you and Carter are receiving the best care. Glad you are holding up well. Keep us posted, sending prayers your way ((HUGS)).

Supposed to be... "Mama G"... said...

SO glad to hear that everything is alright and that you were able to come home, and cook Carter a little longer! Not much longer now and the rainbows will be shining :)

Hummingbird in a Shoebox said...

I'm so glad your being monitored and doing better. Take it easy. I know that is easy to say to someone else but not always easy to do. We will be praying for you, Kyle and Carter.

Kim said...

I am so glad everything turned out okay. I'm thinking about you as your time for Carter to arrive is getting closer:)

jamie said...

wow Laura- 35 weeks!!!! I am so happy for you. I think staying out of L& D and working up to this point is AWESOME!!!! I know the financial stress is awful - but you will be o.k. :) Relax and enjoy some you time before Carter makes his apppearance!

Jamie said...

Wow. Funny how things work out like that...the little conincidences. I'm happy that you're still doing so well and hope you make it for a few more weeks at least! I will be praying still. I hope it's everything you wished for and more when the time comes...you deserve the best. Take care!
Jamie

TanaLee Davis said...

Praying for you and your family...Especially for baby Carter.
Let us know how things are going...sorry for the things that are ironic and the things that make your heart beat faster & BP higher.
hugs-
Felicia