Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, February 24, 2011

I have made my decision

After I lost Cara, I couldnt watch Greys Anatomy, couldnt drive past a hospital, calling a doctor would make my stomach churn. I relied every four hours on Xanex, and forever thought I would be terrified of Doctors, hospitals etc. I never ever wanted to go back to a hospital, never wanted anything to do with it, it was all a horrific reminder.

Not the case anymore. Took me about 6 months for my curiosity on health care started to kick in. Knowing I could and would never be the type of doctor, assistant, receptionist etc, who would not take someone seriously. I craved to make a difference. Dont get me wrong, those of you that are my clients who read, no worries, I will always be a stylist at Ginger Root. I love it, and that is my passion as well... but my decision is made. I will be going back to school within the next year. I don't care if I only take one class a week night (which is what I probably would only be able to do/afford) but I am going to do it.

Once Carter is born and things settle down I will start to look into what I wanna be, nursing assistant, nurse etc. I dont care if it takes me 10 years. 

My own personal knowledge on health has surprised even me. I become more and more intrigued with everything. I also retain medical information like a sponge.
What are platelets and the ranges they are supposed to be at? What a systolic versus a diastolic pressure is, what they do and what is dangerous? What a CBC is. The difference between Pregnancy Induced Hypertension and Preeclampsia. Tachycardia. What a stress test does. What Cardiomyapathy or Atrial Fibrillation is. Aspiration Pneumonia vs. Pneumonia. The list goes on.  My hunger for more knowledge on anything I can get my fingers on that deals with health is crazy!

I feel incomplete and like something in my life is missing. Cara has driven me to want to help others more than ever.

I can't wait to start this journey!!

11 comments:

TanaLee Davis said...

It's a journey for sure but I can understand your hunger for knowledge about health and helping others. I too feel compelled to learn more and do something in the medical field. Let us know as you start this whole new journey in mother-hood and beyond.
~Felicia

Angie said...

I think you will be fantastic. (Don't forget the possibility of ultrasound tech. Here in Missouri you can become one with just a community college program. Just thought I'd throw that out there too.)

Good luck!

Dana said...

That's great! You will be wonderful at whatever you do. I've always thought of being a nurse and now that I've lost Jacob, the desire is back again.

I know a baby loss Mom who lost her son 7 years ago. She went back to school 4 years after losing him and has just finished her BSN and will be writing the provincial nursing exam soon.

I think the best medical professionals are those who have been through something themselves. Your future patients will be lucky to have you.

Becky said...

Good for you! I actually feel the same way now like something is missing. I wish I had the time and energy to do more but since losing Liam I have applied to nursing school, in the process of volunteering at a hospital in the NICU, and doing a March of Dimes walk this summer. I wish you the best!

Abigail said...

That is wonderful Laura!! I have no doubt that you will do great in this field because of your passion to want to help prevent others from going though such a scary situation like you did with Cara. I know you can do it!!!

Lisette said...

Wow that is awesome!!! I know you will make an amazing nurse one day. I know it is a big decision to make especially with a baby on the way but you can do it. Very proud of your decision.

Jill said...

OMG! THIS IS AN AMAZING POST LAURA!!!! I am SO proud of you! You are going to do SO well in school and I know you can do it! This made me get the chills and have tears in my eyes! And I can't think of anyone else that can do this than you! Big hugs to you and this post made my night! Cara and baby Carter will be very proud of their mama no matter what! After all that has happened to me and I have always been a helper, I would love to be able to do something in the health fied. I had never been interested until now. Always wanted to be a teacher but now I am definietly interested in something in the healthy field particually being a nurse or assistant with pregnant woman ! Youve got this pretty mama! CONGRATS! I should be the same way, even if it takes YEARS, one class by one, we can both get it done!

Jamie said...

Yay! That is so awesome! What a great journey your life is taking. =-) Best of luck with it all!

Kim said...

This is wonderful!! I am a nurse and I LOVE it! The good thing about nursing is there are SO many different fields, places, hours, it is so flexible and you can always find a job. I can tell you everything I know about schooling, etc if you have questions:) Congratulations on your decision and good luck on your new journey! nurse4kids81@hotmail.com

Stephanie said...

That is the best inspiration ~ good for you! You will be great at it!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you! I look forward to hearing about your new journey!