Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, February 15, 2010

MFM #2

So today I saw my new MFM (the one that I chose to be my next mfm) I did meet with two and this MFM is at a bigger hospital that has a level III nicu and handles a lot of very high risk patients. The hospital was huge and very overwhelming, but my MFM is the head director of Maternal Fetal Medicine so I am confident he will take good care of me. He knows a ton about PE and HELLP. I was told again today that I had HELLP. There are three classes I being the worst and III being the better side of HELLP, I had III which is a hell of a lot better than I!

So anyway about my cholesterol I am to stop taking my statin (statin drugs are the common drugs used for people with high cholesterol, I have been on statin medication since I was 18) when we start trying. Which will be end of May. When I am 12 weeks pregnant I am to start taking Niacin which is a cholesterol lowering supplement. It is said to be effect on treating cholesterol. We will see (Im a bit skeptical...you see eating lettuce and working out does not make my cholesterol budge 1 point!)

I was told as of now I do not need to see a hematologist or a cardiologist. Down the road I will need to see both. As of now excited that I do not need anymore doctor apts! (Its getting $$$ even with good insurance)

The next few things I will discuss will not mean much to people that do not know a whole ton about PE.
I will get a 24 hour urine baseline done at the first heart beat as well as PIH labs. The urine test will be able to tell me how much protein I have in the beginning of my pregnancy so we know what is normal for me, so when it begins to get abnormal we can detect it! Same with the PIH (Pregnancy induced Hypertension) labs. Those check for my liver and kidney functions as well as my platelets.

Lastly I am going to be taken slowly off my Hydrochlorthizide (high BP/ water pill) yay! As long as my BP remains normal I can stay off it. I did not take it today and my BP is 104/66 heartrate of 88! Pretty darn good. So if my BP stays down that means that my body is normalized! YAY!

I do take fish oil 3 times a day. Well my MFM said thats a crazy ammount (even tho my last doc told me to take it 3 times a day) he said I only need it 2 times a day. When I am all finished with my bottle of fish oil. MFM reccomended krill oil which is interesting because I JUST read a thread on that! So I will be switching to that as soon as the Fish Oil is done.

I have been worried about my heartrate a bit lately because I have been working out with my trainer and it has been high. Mine is typically on the normal side of high, but I believe a lot of it has to do with my last pregnancy and anxiety I am going through. I did get a heart monitor and my heart rate sleeping is in the 60's and sitting on the couch 70's or 80's so its normal!! When I work out is the issue. When I run it goes into the 190's 200. Thats pretty darn high. My trainer will be working with me on getting a lower heart rate and all around working on getting me healthy for my next pregnancy!

Next monday I see my new internist about my cholesterol and I am sure I will have a post about that :) Ciao!

3 comments:

Jill said...

Love the new blog look! I tried taking fish oil once, but the pills were too big for me to swallow! : )

Malory said...

I hear you on having had enough with the doctor visits. I wrote down the info about the 24 hr baseline urine & PIH labs so I can make sure I get those done when we concieve again. We have postponed for now as I want to get healthier 1st as well. We lost our daughter at 31 weeks due to PIH which caused a placenta abruption (I think you may know that). My blood pressure 9 months later still has not normalized :( I am happy to hear yours has! I am glad you like your new doc. That makes things so much smoother.

We also share our wedding date!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your doc is proactive which is a good thing. *hugs*