Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, February 1, 2010

PTSD

So I think I have PTSD. On the preeclampsia forums I know some of the women have it and this is what I am experiencing on some days...one of them being yesterday.

Posttraumatic stress disorder -- or PTSD -- describes anxiety (also known as post-traumatic stress disorder) caused by the exposure to either death or near-death circumstances. The traumatic event is re-experienced in thoughts and dreams. Common behaviors include the following:

Avoiding activities, places, or people associated with the triggering event
(I do this with hospitals/or hospital situations)
Difficulty concentrating
(ALL THE TIME)
Difficulty sleeping
(Actually not really)
Being hypervigilant (you closely watch your surroundings)
(From time to time)
Feeling a general sense of doom and gloom with diminished emotions such as loving feelings or aspirations for the future
(Somedays yes)


So I think I am going to think about going to see someone to talk to. I have my new OB apt Feb 8th so I am going to ask her where /who to see. It cant hurt and I want to make sure I am mentally ok to TTC again in May!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think on some level we all experiance some PTSD. *hugs* Sending thoughts of healing and peace as you decide what you need to move forward.

Lisa and Jonathan said...

I was diagnosed with PTSD after everything as well. I went on Prozac for a little while, but I really hated acting like a zombie so I weaned myself off of it. I was talking to a counselor before my insurance cut me off. I hope to go back to counseling soon that is if my insurance will let me *sigh*.
I also wanted to let you know I wrote your angels name and took some pics.
http://waterfallangels.blogspot.com/search?q=cara

*Laura Angel said...

Thanks guys :) And Lisa THANKS for the waterfall...beautiful :)

Lisa said...

I think going to talk to someone is a great idea and can be very valuable. I went to a psychologist and psychiatrist. The psychologist didn't know anything about babies born so premature and the psychiatrist just wanted to give me drugs. I tried to explain that I was just a mom with a broken heart that needed coping skills. I never went back to either of them but I found this fantastic parent support group called Compassionate Friends. They had a specific group for pregnancy and infant loss. It was wonderful because everyone knew exactly what I was going through. You might be able to find a Compassionate Friends group in your area or something similar. Wishing you the best.

*Laura Angel said...

Thank you for your input...totally makes sense and to be honest that is why I did not want to go to one in the first place...because NO ONE KNOWS the pain we go through. Where can I find compassionate friends?

Emerging Butterfly said...

I just wanted to say that it's really common to suffer PTSD after such a loss.....take care. This is a horrible journey. Your not alone. ((HUG))

Lisa said...

Hi Laura,
You can go to www.compassionatefriends.org or google it. It comes up The Compassionate Friends. Once on the sight you can search for a chapter in your area. You might have already found this information. Hugs,
Lisa