Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, April 16, 2010

Cardiologist appointment

Let me start off by saying the hospital that all my new doctors are at is HUGGGE its like a maze. So I arrived to my appointment and I was not as anxious as I thought I would be. Time heals *most* wounds hey? So of course I take a wrong turn and end up walking through the actually hospital part like where they admit patients  and where there are machines and beeping noises all over the place. You have to be kidding me. I could feel my heart start to race. Then I quickly just reminded myself that Im JUST here for a doctors appointment...not to be admitted. (Although every time I go to the doctors I have a lingering fear that they will find something crazy wrong with me and I will be admitted)

So as I continued to walk...I see this women and a man standing outside a room and I over hear the women as I walked past say "They could not find the baby's heartbeat" YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING RIGHT?...Keep walkin sista.

I finally made it to my appointment 20 minutes early. I know if I am early to appointments that I wont have anymore needed anxiety. Finally the nurse called me back and took my vitals. 128 lbs. (1 LB away from pre pregnancy weight) and BP 120/80...WHICH is high for me. BUUUT whenever im at the doctors its typically higher. Mine this morning was 100/68 just for an example. They of course performed an EKG (Electro Cardiogram) on me right then and there...normal. (That would be my 4th one of my life and all 4 in the past 2 years!)  The EKG works by detecting and amplifying the tiny electrical changes on the skin during each heart beat.It also records cardiac activity of your heart.

So the doctor came in and he was great. He explained to me that yes my cholesterol is high and due to my family history on both sides of heart disease/strokes etc AND due to having such elevated Blood Pressures with my preeclampsia...that I am to have an 2D Echo Cardiogram (which is an ultrasound of the heart to see how well its working from within) and a Stress Test (which is where I will run on a tread mill and have my blood pressure taken and then pictures of my heart taken as well) This test will comfirm if I have any heart disease.

Im totally nervous about having these tests done but I know they are to my benefit. Im so worried that my anxiety will effect the results of the test?! I have that done in about 2 weeks, and go for results a week later.

Now most my questions I had for the Doctor (how can I measure if I have high cardiac output?, Should I be taking cholesterol meds while pregnant?  Elasticity of artery walls...etc) those will be answered after he can view my results from my test and I have an appointment May 5th for that. I just wish it was mid May because  then I would know everything about whats going on! I do have to have some more extensive blood work done for my cholesterol, I will do that next week.

Funny thing about any appointments I make...its sort of like an all day thing. For example today my apt was at 1 (the hospital is about 45 min away without traffic and I like to be early) I left at 11:30 and got home at 2:30...most the time my doctor appointments take about an hour or more because there is just so much crap always going on! UGH! Trust me I will be happy when I get the clean bill of health and will be able to TTC then I wont have any doc appointments until I conceive...then I go down a whole new path.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I am glad you got through your doctor appointment well, even to this day, I am very weary of hospitals. Not a fun place to be. Every time I hear the beeping noises of the machines, I try & escape. Just brings me back.

I am so proud of you that you are doing all these follow ups and getting all checked out and the clear to go ahead and TTC. I should have done that way before. I still would like to get things checked out, because for a LONG time I had that "feeling" something is off with me, and usually I am not off with my "gut".

Everything will be just fine, I believe! <3

Jill said...

Happy you went to the doctor. I bet it will be nice when you can get more answers to your questions. Not having answers is always hard for me. I am so impatient when it comes to that! :)

Susan said...

Hoping that the echo and stress test go well. Hoping that you are able to get the rest of the answers that you need. Getting answers is a great feeling, especially if they are good. :-)