As much as I loved nursing, it did not work out. Instead I pumped and seldom nursed. Well one day I woke up, and got nothing...and I mean nothing. I tried more water, more pumping etc...I just did not produce quite enough to keep up with Carter who is now almost up to 5 oz a feeding!
So nursing and pumping has come to a stop. I am actually a bit more upset than I thought I would be. Its been two whole days without pumping and I still have all my equipment out because I just cant bare to put it away. I did it for 7 weeks, but I was really hoping at least for 12 weeks!
In the back of my mind I know with going back to work I just do not have the time to devote to exclusively pumping for him and just giving him breast milk. With Carter being in the NICU for a week, that is when we decided to introduce formula as I was being discharged and he was not. I think that really screwed things up. I wish that there was a way I could just pump once a day and get enough to at least feed him one bottle a day, but I found myself pumping for over a half hour and getting 2oz if I was lucky total!
bummed.
Friday, April 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









7 comments:
I remember when TanaLee was born I was determined to pump until she was sent home. I however only made it five months and this was with no baby to chest time. She was always to sick or something for that type of care. I was extremely upset that I could no longer keep up with her needs and I felt like a failure. I look back though and realize I did the best I could and it reality I defeated most odds. You can feel good knowing you did your best and sometimes it just doesn't work out. You did good and carter has benefited from what you could give.
hugs-
Felicia
My daughter had the same issue. She did pump but it didn't last long at all, she tried nursing it was just not working for her. Then she dried up like overnight.
She was disappointed but in the end it probably worked out for the best for her.
I was only able to nurse for 3 weeks. He had the a bottle after he was born due to very low blood sugars and he never would take my nipple after that. I would pump every hour and get 1/2 ounce out of each breast. It wasn't enough to keep up with his appetite either. I was very depressed when I stopped too. Hang in there! I just packed up my pump 3 weeks ago and he is 12 weeks :)
Awee! You did great Laura!! No shame or harm in it. You gave him some and thats what matters most!
It is a LOT to keep up with. I am so bummed how I somehow stopped ater 5 months I dont know WHY. And that part alone my reasoning is at me like whoa! But I still try and pump once a day and i try and nurse but I barely do get anything. Its probavbly my own fault.
I dont know hwo working moms and others do it . But you did GREAT and dont think otherwise. xoxocoxoxo
Oh laura! tleI'm currently fighting a battle with my milk production... I an blaming the hospital for making us introduce formula, and all the medications I have been on. I'm also convinced that Kaedence is her own worst enemy as she REFUSES to open her mouth wide enough to latch properly, and I refuse to nurse her when it hurts so badly!
I had a nurse tell me that the most important thing is to feed my baby... regardless of what it is or how she gets it. She also told me to enjoy my baby. It breaks my heart because i was really looking forward to breast feeding, but I am finding that I am enjoying her more when I'm not fighting with her at the breast... and later resenting her for hurting me... I am making one last desperate attempt to boost my milk supply and nurse more often ever the next few weeks.. then I will have to make the same decision :s
Hugs! and Carter is adorable!
You did an excellent job Laura!! You tried and that is what matters. You did get to do it for 7 weeks!! That is amazing, and he got the most important nutrients in the beginning. Don't be so hard on yourself! You did good mama
You did such a great job! I have had issues with nursing in the past and only nursed my first child for 2 weeks so you did really well!
Post a Comment