Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, January 22, 2010

Blood test results!

Today my anxiety level is a bit higher. Today I got my blood test results back. My new MFM called me and I was told that I tested positive for Factor V Leiden. Its not uncommon, but it is a blood clotting disorder. I have one copy of the gene which means either my mom or dad also has it. It is not a cause for major concern. If you have it you should just be on asprin daily (which I am). This disease can cause Blood clots, which can lead to pulminary embolisms. So its soemthing to be aware of! I can never be on birth control pills as it raises my risk for clots. I cannot smoke (which I dont smoking is gross). I need to be careful if I am on bed rest after any type of surgery. This also probably contributed to my risk of getting preeclampsia. I will be at higher risk for preeclampsi next pregnancy because of this disorder. Hopefully that will not matter since I will be monitored so closely! Many women with this condition have healthy happy babies!

I also tested positive for Antinuclear antibodies, I am only borderline for this (1:40), so they really are not concerned. My mom has prenicious anemia which is a very rare disease of the blood which is a antinuclear antibody. So I am going to be asked to tested for that. (It can be genetic). I want to make sure I cover all my bases here!

So thats my news for today. Its not really bad news because it does not change anything in my life really, there is no special medication to take. Its more that I just need to be aware that I have it. Its also not good news, because that gives me one more thing that can add to me possibly having preeclampsia agagain! All I have here is hope :)

4 comments:

Lisa and Jonathan said...

I was also diagnosed with Factor V, I have two copies so my mom and dad both had it. Lucky me. I'm on a baby asprin as well and have to do lovenox injections when pregnant.

Susan said...

It is good to get some answers, but it can sometimes be frustrating, too. I had a very high ANA test a few years ago - 1:680 - but all of the rest of my clotting tests came back clean after Gracie died. They said that by itself, they are not concerned about the ANA, but have recommended that I also stick with 1 baby ASA a day indefinitely.

Lisa said...

I know it's scary finding out but it is definitely better to know then not knowing. Unfortunately, none of us really know our chances of getting preeclampsia again. At least the doctors are aware of your other factors and can treat those. I believe every little thing we can do will help. Hang in there. Like you said all we have is hope.

Anonymous said...

*hugs* I am becoming familiar with Factor V Leiden as I have one copy myself and it wasn't until after I lost my son that I discovered I had it. We are TTC now and already have a months supply of Lovenox on hand in case we get a positive pregnancy test.