Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, January 11, 2010

First MFM visit

Get comfy for this one...


First things first...let me just clarify what some things stand for
MFM- Maternal Fetal Medicine
TTC- Trying to conceive
So today I met with my new Maternal Fetal Medicine doc (High risk ob) We loved him! He reviewed my charts and not to my surprise I not only had Severe Preeclampsia, I also was told I had HELLP syndrome. Here is a quick overview of the definitions HELLP and Severe Preeclampsia. He also told me I could write the book of preeclampsia for I had every symptom known to man. (He also could not understand why nothing was done when I came into my doctor with major red flags...wow...shocking {insert scarcasm})

HELLP syndrome: A syndrome featuring a combination of "H" for hemolysis (the breakdown of red blood cells), "EL" for elevated liver enzymes, and "LP" for low platelet count (an essential blood clotting element).
The HELLP syndrome is a recognized complication of preeclampsia and eclampsia (toxemia) of pregnancy, occurring in 25% of these pregnancies.
Common symptoms in women with the HELLP syndrome include a general feeling of feeling unwell, nausea and/or vomiting, and pain in the upper abdomen. Increased fluid in the tissues (edema) is also frequent. Protein is measurable in the urine of most women with the HELLP syndrome. Blood pressure may be elevated. Occasionally, coma can result from seriously low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). After delivery, the mother's status is monitored closely. The HELLP syndrome can be complicated by liver rupture, anemia, bleeding, and death.

Preeclampsia is a disorder of pregnancy that is characterized by hypertension (high blood pressure) and proteinuria (excessive protein in the urine); often including edema (swelling) and occasionally involving thrombocytopenia (low platelets) or liver function abnormalities.

That being said, as of now we are trying to determine if I have any other underlying conditions. (I believe that I don't, the new doctor is saying lets just assume you do as of now)I go tomorrow after work for a blood panel to determine if I have any autoimmune disorders. I know hereditary high cholesterol could be a indicator of why I got this disease, and next tuesday I will be seeing a genetic counsler to discuss all of my cholesterol issues as well as all the different medications I am now on. (Did I mention genetic counsling is NOT covered by my insurance...booooooo)

So lets discuss my cholesterol here. My current cholesterol is...(dont fall off your chairs here) 572. HDL (Which is the good cholesterol that is supposed to be in the 50's) is at 46 (which is not bad at all) My Triglycerides are 210 (a little high, being that they are supposed to be under 150) My LDL-(Which is the bad artery clogging stuff) is 484!! Now keep in mind this is OFF medication and 3 weeks after I delivered so it would have been high anyways from pregnancy. My normal total cholesterol off medication normally hovers around 400's...which is still horrible, but on medication it is always under control. However you cannot take any cholesterol medication while being pregnant. So because my cholesterol is so high and it is hereditary that is why I am seeing a genetic counselor.
High cholesterol is something that will effect your heart over time. Being pregnant is only for 9 months so being off medication for a year or so in the long run does not make much difference in your overall being. (This was how it was explained to me) I am at lower risk for heart attack or stroke because I am a healthy weight, I eat right (yes Kirsten I cut out cheese, sour cream and in the process of cutting out yogurt;) and because I do not smoke or have another other diseases. So really being off my medication from june un till I have another child is not going to affect me, however because of how sick I was and all the extra strain on my heart (my high blood pressure while pregnant) they have me back on cholesterol medication un till May and I will have it tested in Feb and and of April.

So lets move on and discuss the fact that I did get the ok to try again. YAYYYY! Many women have had normal healthy pregnancy's after pregnancy's with Severe PE and or HELLP. However many women went on to experience the same tragic outcomes again. I am aware of that and can only hope for the best. I do feel that if I do not try again, I will never know if I was able to have a healthy child. So it is very important for me to try again. I do however have to wait un till May (booooo) But that's ok! It will give Kyle and I a chance to make a dent is all of these medical bills we now owe. The doctor said I have a 30% chance of this happening again. He said its up to me and only I REALLY know my body (hell, when I get pregnant again if I have a hangnail I am rushing myself to the ER ha!) Im going to really watch my body for similar symptoms and not feeling right. The way it was explained to me was that I will see him (My high risk) and my regular OB during my next pregnancy. 9 weeks I will have a date ultrasound to show when my actual due date is. 13 weeks I have another then at 20weeks and then again at 24. After that it is all based on how my body is doing, if we see symptoms of preeclampsia rising again I will be in basically weekly for 24 hour urine tests to check for protein as well as ultra sounds to check the well being of the baby. I am going to make milestones for myself so after 24 weeks I want to get to 28, once I am at 28, I want to make it to 32...Once our baby hits 28 weeks there is around a 85% chance of survival. Once the baby hits 32 its about 95. I just REALLY hope to make it to 32. He also did tell me that nothing could go wrong and I will make it to 39 (they will not let me go to 40.) So it all just depends on my body.

There is NO way to prevent or stop preeclampsia. There is no magic drug, or special doctor. Once I start symptoms, its a hour by hour decision on what happens next. He said I may have to cut back my hours at work after 24 weeks and will have to stop working all together if I show signs of Preeclampsia (but I believe since I did not show signs un till 26 weeks, that next time IF they come back...It will not be un till 26 or 28.)
I am so looking forward to trying in May!

As a wrap up let me tell you what I will now be taking medication wise ...(grab some popcorn it may be a while ha!)
I call this my daily cocktail...while it used to be clear with ice cubes, tonic and limes in it, it is now just in a pill form I tell myself.
**Prenatal Vitamin- Daily now throughout next pregnancy
**Fish Oil- (for a healthy heart) 1000 mg- 3times a day now and for the rest of my life
**Hydrochlorthizide- (Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic water pill) that helps prevent your body from fluid retention & to treat high blood pressure)- 25mg Daily now throughout my next pregnancy (YES its safe to take during pregnancy!) He is keeping me on it because why even chance my blood pressure going up in my next pregnancy, this drug may help keep it at bay...if not we add another.
**C- (boosts energy, enhances the immune system, and acts as an antioxidant. May help prevent heart disease, high blood pressure.) Daily for the rest of my life 200mg.
**Baby Asprin (to help keep blood thin) 81mg Daily for the rest of my life
**Simvastatin (Cholesterol lowering drug) 40mg Daily for the rest of my life
**Zoloft (due to my major anxiety now) 50 mg Daily for now
Keeping a positive mind and spirit!

2 comments:

jamie said...

Sounds like you have a good MFM watching out for you! I have a suggestion for supplements for you - my Dr strongly recommended a Calcium supplement w/ Vitamin D. Maybe you should ask your docs if they would be O.K. with you taking that as well.

I went on bedrest at 21 weeks due to increasing BP - it stinks - but is so worth it (hopefully I have a job to go bak to after all this!).

Keep the positive spirit!

*Laura Angel said...

Thanks Jamie! Did you just get the calcium wD over the counter? What was their reasoning for you taking that?