Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Genetic Counsling

Well I had my genetic counsling appointment today. Alot of information...however...it was nothing I did not already know. I feel confident in saying that because for over a month now I have been doing extensive research on Preeclampsia and Hellp...Not to mention I read through ALL of my medical records from my pregnancy with a fine tooth comb! I really think I should get my PHD now please...and if not that at least the starring roll on Greys Anatomy! :)

Basically this doctor just talked to me about all the medication I am on and what I can and cannot be on during my next pregnancy. Eveything that I am on I can continue taking throughout my next pregnancy. Zoloft can pose risks to the baby but they are small percents that anything would happen. The problem that I have with that is that my chances of getting preeclampsia were around 5-8%...well I fell in that %. So really percentages and studies that have been done means NOTHING to me. Everyone is very different. If there is a 99% chance I will not have a baby with problems from being on zoloft...there also is a 1% chance I will. So he told me that its my personal choice if I would like to stay on it. As for now I think I will wait to see how I am doing in April. I do however think that me being on zoloft will help me not have a major freak out during my next pregnancy.

Another thing we discussed is if I should stay on cholesterol medication while being pregnant. The benefit of being on it may outweigh the risks. I have always learned from every doctor I have seen since I was 17 for my high cholesterol, that high cholesterol medications are a no no during pregnancy. The genetic counsler is going to try to pull more stats and research and discuss with my new MFM before they let me know what they think will be best for me. My family does have a history of heart disease on both sides, so I just need to be careful.

EVERYONE READING THIS IF YOU HAVE NEVER HAD YOUR CHOLESTEROL CHECKED...DO IT! 1 OUT OF 5 AMERICANS HAVE UNTREATED HIGH CHOLESTEROL. NO THERE IS NO SYMPTOMS EVER UNTILL DAMAGE IS DONE. SO VERY GOOD TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE IT TO PREVENT HEART ATTACK OR CLOGGED ARTERIES IN YOUR FURTURE! Just because you "feel fine" and are otherwise healthy means NOTHING. I am a 25 years old 127 pounds, work out and eat healthy and my cholesterol readings off medication hover in the 400's!! Just like high blood pressure..silent killer! KNOW YOUR HEALTH PEOPLE! Ok im done preaching for today :)

5 comments:

Ashley D said...

Oh how I know this pain so deeply that you are going through right now. I also was a Pre-e/HELLP case.

I was put on Zoloft and weaned myself off back in Nove (5 months after our loss) The Zoloft helped tremedously but I wanted to be off before we started trying again.

I have been doing great considering the circumstances. I have bad days, but they come as often as they did on Zoloft. Zoloft really just helped me get through those VERY VERY dark months.
Feel free to email me or find me through FB if you ever want to talk.
It breaks my heart that someone else has been poisoned by Pre-e and had a loss because of it

Ashley
nolesgirl724@yahoo.com

jamie said...

I stayed on an anti-anxiety med for this pregnancy. It has a small risk in the first trimester - the major risk is baby being born addicted for me - so I am going off it now. I had been on it for 7 years. I don't think I could have survived this pregnancy this far without it!

Wow your cholesterol is high!!! I hope they find something you can do for it in pregnancy.

I know how you feel about the statistics - it is actually even less than 5% to have a loss due to PE. I kind of feel it is either I get it or I don't, and if I do hopefully it has a happy ending.

Glad you have all your info!

*Laura Angel said...

Jamie, Yes my cholesterol is high. But it has been that high since I was born. My dad and brother has it as well. Its hereditary, so no matter what I do its always high. UNLESS im on medication...which is a touchy subject during pregnancy. I just wonder if there is a link with high cholesterol and preeclampsia? So when your on anti anxiety meds they weane you off it as you get further along or is that your choice?

Ashley The pain is constant, its a horrible thing! I will contact you on facebook!

jamie said...

I hope they can figure out a benefit vs. risk for the cholesterol med for you - that is scary to not know what they are going to do :/

The med I am on is klonopin. It is a category C but after talking to my dr.s we felt the benefits outweighed risk. The weaning off is mainly my choice. My dr. said he would recommend going off it if I was on a higher dose so baby wasn't born addicted - so I decided we would work together to get off it. At the very least I don't want to be taking it regularly 2 X a day. It really go me through the beginning.

I have heard of people staying on zoloft - it is a common one to be used during pregnancy. The way I look at it- if my dr.'s are o.k. with a drug I am taking- I would rather take it than be anxious all the time. Also I needed the meds because I had a seizure in the past and they are anti-convulsants.

Jill said...

You will make whatever choice seems right for you about medication. I hope it helped to see the genetic counselor. Sorry to hear about your high cholesterol. Mine was high when I was a kid and I finally went a few weeks ago to get a recent testing. Doctor didn't call me back so it must be ok. : )