Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

When it rain it pours...

Talk about raining on my parade...so as many of you know Charlie had Emergency back surgery Nov 30. We found out that my precious Charlie has IVDD Intervertebral Disc Disease.
Charlie as a baby
Photobucket

Photobucket

[This disease is common in smaller dogs. When the disc degenerates, the central “gel” loses its fluid, and is less resilient to normal wear and tear. Additionally, the fibers in the outer portion of the disc weaken, stiffen, and fray. As a consequence, the normal strains of everyday life might cause the central part to rupture up into, or through the outer layer. This is referred to by many people as a “slipped disc”. Actually, the whole disc does not “slip”; rather, a portion displaces upwards, and puts pressure on the overlying nerve roots and spinal cord. In most dogs with IVD disease there is no single event which causes the disc to displace. Many owners search for some reason, such as jumping, rough play, or external trauma to account for their dog’s symptoms. However, in most cases the disc displaces owing to the combination of normal activity and an already degenerated and weakened structure.]

So this all happened not even two weeks after our loss. Well he has been in some pain lately, so of course I took him in...only to find out that he is now having neck pain. More than likely due to this genetic disease. They wanted to do an MRI on him...however I just dont have 2000 to shell out anymore. Chances are he needs surgery. This breaks my heart. We JUST 3 months ago spent 5000 on his back surgery and now your telling me he needs neck surgery? Money really is not the issue...If we knew 100% that he would recover and heal 100% with no chance of this happeneing again...we would do it...however we dont know that. He could have this happen again to another disk in his neck or back. So yes we could have surgery again...but we could also most likely have it again and again and again...So really where do you draw the line.

Dr. M is great! (She made charles walk after his back surgery) but when she said "he just has surgery in November...hearing the month november made me cry! I cried when she told me he may need surgery again. I told her how I just lost my daugher and I cant lose my Charlie. She told me we are going to try 3 weeks cage rest and 4 different medications. So right now we are just holding on. Im holding on to whatever little hope that I have left. My life is just filling up with "LOSS" blahh! If one more person tells me to be positive I think they may see a fist to their face. Im TRYING to think positive...however its not working!! I was positive that I would have a healthy pregnancy...I didnt. I was positive that Charlie would not need surgery...he did. I was positive that Charlie would heal nicely and do great from surgery...he did. I was positive that he wouldnt need another...he most likely does...so excuse me if I have a bit of the negative thoughts. When it rains it pours. ESPECIALLY when things were starting to turn around. Im starting to feel better, Charlie is doing better with therepy, he can walk again...and now this. Its like taking 2 step s forward and ten steps back! I simply can't imagine my life without Charlie in it...hes 4 for crying out loud. Gia (my other dog) im sure would be heart broken as well...you see they are best friends. I know that I may have to face the decision os putting him down...but here is where I will think as positive as I can (but also try to be realistic) CHEER UP CHARLIE!


Photobucket

5 comments:

jamie said...

I am so sorry to read this :( I have heard great things about cage rest and have done that for my daschies back once. I really REALLY hope Charlie responds well to the cage rest and meds.

Let's go Charlie!

Rikki said...

aww they are so cute together. I really hope that they can help him without the surgery.
I hate it when people tell me that if i start thinking possitive that bad things will stop happening to me. I get so angry when people say this to me, kind of like they are saying because of my negativity i killed my babies.
I am sending healing thoughts to Charlie. Xxx

CUSTOM BLENDS BY CORRINE said...

I agree it sucks when everyone tells you to keep being positive! I think most people say it because they don't know what else to say! As far as I'm concerned you're showing all of your readers, friends and family what a strong and compassionate woman you really are! I believe that good things are coming your way, as well as to everyone else who has been in our situation. I'm praying that you hear happy news from now on! (haha no... I'm one of those positive people "most" days, but I'm feeling optimistic for you this morning!)

Anonymous said...

Laura - you know this issue is still very fresh with me. If things don't work out, you know how to find me if you need to talk it out.

It's so difficult trying to balance reason and what's in your heart when faced with putting our precious furry guys down.

He's such a tough little guy - I'm sure he'll let you know if he's had enough.

Anonymous said...

Its always the people who don't have any difficulty in their lives that tell you to be positive. *hugs* Thinking of you and Charlie.