Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, September 3, 2010

10 weeks 4 days. OB Appointment

Wow. Where do I even start. I am so overwhelmed and stressed today.

So I arrive at my doctors appointment. The nurse takes me back and with a Doppler tried to find the heartbeat. Silence. No big deal to me...I know she has not been looking that long. She leaves the room telling me Im going to get another Doppler. Silence. IMMEDIATELY in my head I go into loss mode. I make plans to call off work tomorrow, and to be heartbroken yet again. So crazy how my brain was just that prepared for another loss. UGH. The nurse says "Its still so early, dont worry I am going to have the doctor come in and try." You know one thing I hate is sugar coating. I have been pregnant before, I have experienced a loss do NOT tell me I am early. I am almost 11 weeks. Way far enough along to hear a heartbeat, I do not have stupid written across my forehead. My doctor comes in and finds my heartbeat which was in the 120's since I was in panic attack mode. Then music to my ears...the babys heartbeat. Very soft. I was happy but not convinced. I quickly asked for a ultrasound and he said absolutely. (love him even more!)

On the ultrasound we saw the baby. Having a fiesta in my belly. Bouncing up and down like you would not believe. Sooo cute! I was so relieved!

So when we went back into the room to discuss, we decided that at 20 weeks I will be cutting my hours at work. For the shear fact I am on my feet and it will be holiday season...busy busy. So I have a "doctors orders" note for that.

We also decided against any fetal testing. He said to me "If something was wrong...would you terminate?" I said absolutely not...so no quad test or anything along those lines. Plus who wants a false positive?

I asked this doctor Doctor L if he would be my doctor strictly. There are seven doctors in this practice and I was supposed to see all of them. Not gonna happen. I thought I would be ok with that. I am not. I really like Dr. L. He gets me and knows that my mental well being is what matters most! He told me how sorry he was for what happened to me last time. I lost it. I started to cry. (I do not cry easily) I told him how badly I wish I had doctors that had just listened to my concerns and took me seriously last time. Cara was not supposed to die. My doctors let me be sick, and let my baby slowly pass away. Simple blood tests and urine tests would have quickly told them I had Severe Preeclampsia. Unfortunately, I did not get the care that I have this time. That just made me so mad, seeing  the care I had now (hour and a half appointments) and last time( 5 minute appointments)


Another thing is I will be induced at 36- 37 weeks. Both MFM and OB agree yay! That puts me at end of Feb! Yay!

So nonetheless ended up being a good day :)

11 comments:

*Belle* said...

They didn't want to get the results from the AFP one of the things in the quad test it tells them if there could possibly be an indications for small babies, and placental complications?

Angie said...

The quad test is the AFP test, just so you know.

And 10 weeks actually is pretty early to catch the heartbeat on the doppler, a lot of doctor's offices won't even try until around 12 weeks.

But I'm glad it went well after the initial scare!

Shana said...

Laura, I am so glad you have better Doctors this time, it makes all the difference (I had a crappy OB too that wouldn't listen, I ended up switching and went into ER before I could even meet them). I was worried this time around, but not half as much bc of the great care I received - I will be fullterm on Sunday!!

brigette said...

PHEW!! You had me worried! I am glad that things are looking good and that you have a better doctor now!

Elaine said...

Yeah!! So happy for you Laura.

Jill said...

Awe. what a scary moment you must have had. Like you, I would have done the same, must myself in that kind of mode. I am so very glad that they gave you an ultrasound and it sounds like you are very happy with your doctor.

It made me smile and have chills when I read that the baby was bouncing around in there. Wait until you feel him/her! I am excited for you Laura.

Great news on the end of feb! Little Naomi and this little one on the way send big hugs & claps to you!

Abigail said...

Good Lord I was reading this and on edge because of the beginning part of your entry!!! So glad you found a great doctor who listens to you and takes your concerns seriously!! He sounds amazing!! I agree with your decision on passing on the "extra testing" I always have as well because I would never terminate. Just my personal opinion! It really does sounds like you are in great hands with this doctor and I continue to pray that all goes well! I got overwhelmed with joy on the part where you say the baby was bouncing around in your belly!!! Thank goodness you were able to get the ultrasound to put you at ease!!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you were insistent on the doppler. I think every office has guidelines on when they will try with the doppler, but early or not they definitely should have given you an ultrasound to be safe :) I am glad to hear you have an understanding doc.

carole kozlowski said...

Hi Laura .I'm so happy for u guys.Of course must have been quite scary not hearing the heartbeat to start with.Glad tough all is good , baby is happy in your belly and that's the most important.
I'm going on tuesday to see my doc and she going to do an ultrasound and hopeffully find the little hearbeat we're so expecting for.Sofar the 3 verificatin have been positive so crossed fingers all is well in my belly too.
If you're going to be induce at end of february ,your little rainbow might be born like our Angel was due on the 25.Once again so happy and excited for you.You take care and baby too.Love and hugs.Carole

Anonymous said...

I am glad is was such a good apt. It sounds like you have a great OB who listens to your concerns which is so important.

One foot in front of the other and we will both make it to Feb and be having our babies around the same time! I will be induced as well, just for anxiety reasons!

Thinking about you!!

Stacey said...

Glad you got to hear & see the baby. My first pregnancy we didn't get a heartbeat until 20 weeks with the Doppler and my second one we heard nothing until about 14 weeks...so lucky you to hear it so early! I'm praying for the best circumstances during and after this pregnancy for you! Grow little baby! I'm also glad you found a group of Drs you trust. My office has 2 drs and I adore them both. Both were always right on with my hypertension during pregnancy & watched me carefully even though my BP was only borderline high. I also decided against testing, I had no intention to terminate so why torment myself with speculation & false positives? I can imagine this has to be incredibly exciting and so scary at the same time for you. If only everyone could understand the stress and worry pregnant mommas go through.