Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, September 10, 2010

Oh Charlie

Last night before going to bed I had ass these amazing thoughts I wanted to blog about...Of course this morning they are all scattered here and there.

So lately I seem to be having a hard time with Charlie's death. I think I know why. I know I know he is just a dog. I so wish I could explain to you all how he was not just a dog to me. He was my shadow, my friend, my unconditional love every day.

When Cara passed and a week later Charlie needed a very $$$ surgery, I had to take care of him day in and day out like an infant. Feed him, give him medicine, help him go to the bathroom. Part of me knows it was a blessing that he was so sick because it took my mind off the death of my daughter. I had to focus on him.

I dont talk about the week after I came home from being admitted the second time too much. Mainly because it was terrifying. I couldnt eat, couldnt watch tv. I would sit and stare at the wall, take my blood pressure, check my pulse and count down the hours I could go back to sleep. I was terrified to be alone, even when Kyle left to go to the store, I was afraid I would have a stroke and be left alone. Nursing Charlie back to health really made me happy. It took him three months to learn to walk again, but I feel like I had control. I could control helping him by taking him to rehibilitaion and being by his side all the time. Poor guy was cage ridden for three months. (But most the time he was in my arms )
I could really control weather he lived or died. I thought I did just that. Until he needed a second surgery. He was just in so much pain, I knew I had to make that decision. Here is why it was so hard. I had no chance to save Cara, she was already gone. I had no chance to help her, comfort her, make her feel better, I could do that for Charlie! When I saw him in severe pain 4 months later and when I heard the news his disease progressed. I felt like a failure once again. I had to play God and determine weather he lived or died. I think part of me wanted the easy way out. I knew putting him down he would feel better and I could just move on. Or so I thought. I regret every day not having his second surgery. I truly do. At least I would have been able to help him one more time, and control his outcome.

Thats another reason why Gia means so much to me. She watched over him every step of the way. She would let him have her whole bed to himself when he was able to walk again. She loved him every step of the way.
I lost two members of my family within 6 months. When I lost Charlie, flash backs of holding my lifeless daughter's body came as I held his.

Sometimes it frustrates me on how upset I get over him. He was just a dog...thats what I try to tell myself. It just does not work.

3 comments:

Abigail said...

Well he was your first baby and the fact that you lost him so soon after losing your baby girl Cara did not make things any easier ... obviously!!! I think it is normal to feel that you should have or could have done more to help him, but I do believe that in the end you did what you thought was best for Charlie. I cannot even try to comprehend how difficult of a decision that was for you, but again have faith in the decision you did make, because he is no longer suffering. The 2nd surgery could have given him more time or made him feel better ... but for how long? Would it have been harder on him? Maybe he was just holding on to help you through those very traumatic days and months after losing Cara. He did what he had to in helping his Mommy through the worst of times. I know how much you love him...I remember I would talk about my kids and you would tell me about Charlie back when we worked together. And all the special outfits or treats you would get for him!! He sure was spoiled!! =)

KAM said...

Our dogs are never "just" dogs, they are our family members. Our Newton is my fur baby boy. He is a person as far as I'm concerned and I would and probably will at some point spend every last dime I have to keep him healthy and alive. He helped both my husband and myself grieve. He was the best therapy we could have asked for. I completely understand why you are still grieving for your sweet Charlie. **Hugs**

Jill said...

Oh Laura, your little Charlie is not just a doggy! I def do not feel that way about my dog, Tucker. They are definitely part of the family in a big way, and Charlie was there for you & kept your company, and he was there for when you lost sweet baby Cara. You do not have to say or justify that he was just a dog. I defintely know and think he is more than that. He is a sweet beautiful doggy who is dearly missed! Part of the family as well. Big Hugs to you.