Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, September 3, 2010

Answer to AFP test question

Quickly for those of you who do not know. AFP testing can detect spinal bifidia, it can also indicate that you MAY be at risk for a premature baby and or preeclampsia. Now the key word there is MAY. There are also a lot of false positives and false negatives. IF we were to do the test and it showed a high result meaning I could POSSIBLY get Preeclampsia again...I will freak out for the remainder of my pregnancy. So I do not even want to chance that. My doctor is confident that we will be watching me so closely with Ultrasounds every 3 yo 4 weeks that the second something should arise we will catch it anyhow. Plus I already know I have a high chance of getting PE again...so I am very prepared to get it and even more prepared not to!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

preparation for the unknown is so important. *hugs* You gotta do what is right for you.

jamie said...

I never did the AFP myself - the u/s and bp checks all the time made me feel closely watched. But I can see getting the test done as well too....good luck on your decision.