I know there is a lot of people asking how I do it and remain so positive. Let me just say in the beginning its so hard because in the BLM community you know everything there is to know about what can go wrong from miscarriage, to ectopic pregnancy, molar pregnancy etc...it scares the hell out of you, so not only do you worry about having/getting PE you worry that everyone else's story will quickly become yours. The first 20 weeks were hard especially since I get some pretty brutal all day sickness. Which makes a miserable pregnant Laura for a while.
Then comes the worry that you will get PE or have a second trimester loss (because lets face it it happened to me before, again there is no magical ticket that says it wont again...I am not and will never be that naive)
Then comes the third trimester, it gets easier because you know at this point baby has a good chance of survival. At 26 weeks and beyond it can be as high at 90%, of course depending on the situation. However in the back of your mind, its still surreal, there are still many many stories of many many women who have lost in the third trimester or even at term for numerous different reasons, and of course that runs through your head daily.
Well here is how I have dealt with this pregnancy, after a loss and after a battle for my own life.
Honestly, I think that if Cara would have lived through what happened last time I am not sure if I would be able to do it again, in fear of losing my life and then leaving her alone. BUT since I have nothing to really lose and all to gain at this point I did try again. Its scary, but honestly I am my own advocate. Telling my doctors, I will be seen weekly. Not asking.
Another thing that helps? It is all a huge crap shoot. There is NOTHING that will treat/prevent. Not to mention I know women who have no underlying conditions that went on to get PE and HELLP again, on the other hand I know women (myself included) that have underlying conditions with no signs of PE. I truly can say I believe that it is all up to how the placenta implants its self. Plus just because your free of PE does not mean your going to have a fantastical pregnancy with no worries...there are all the other reasons that we know many BLM's have experienced that float through our brains daily when it comes to reasons of losing a child. PE is one of millions...billions...ugh.
There is never a 100% chance of getting it again. It is typially 25-30% so just think you have a 70% of not getting it again...AND if women do, its typically much later, or milder. So thats a plus. I looked at it and my plus's outweighed the minus's. Good Doctors, Being able to cut hours at work and rest as much as possible. Weekly Appointments at 26 weeks. Lovenox (not proven to help, but not proven to hurt either).
I never ever in a million years would have thought I would make it to 30 weeks + with not even a trip to L&D. Its a blessing.
Another thing I did was get tested for everything under the sun. I emptied out my savings, and credit card loaded it up to make sure I got Cardiology testing, and blood work monthly until everything was peachy keen!
I hope this helps someone out there to try again... once your pregnant...there is no turning back, so your forced to take it day by day and every day that baby is inside of you safe is a day to rejoice!
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









7 comments:
Well said Laura, I wish we didnt have all of this to deal with and all these thoughts in our heads but its our reality.
And now my way of thought, I so want an am trying to turn it around, I know baby Sadie is here, but of course I still read BLM stories and the SIDS factor gets me. So I am CONTANTLY checking on her when she is sleeping, ie watching her chest rise & fall or I will go up to her and touch her and make sure I feel her breathing. I cry at times thinking about it and or I picture myself just falling to the ground losing her.
Being in this community with all the thoughts of what could go wrong, sucks BUT I am trying to think of the positive and live each day by day.
And you are very right, once you are pregnant theres not much you can do with certain things but we all try and do our best which you have 150% and I am so proud of you. You have done AMAZING especially with NO hospital visits and making to 30 weeks, BIG HUGS for that and continuing on to do amazing, and BEATING PREECLAMPSIAS YOU KNOW WHAT!
xoxo big hugs & keep on growing baby Carter! Cannot WAIT to see pictures and one day meet this little guy!
Even with everything you have gone through and experienced it does truly amaze me how positive you have been able to be during this pregnancy. I have asked myself several times how in tarnations you have been able to stay so positive. This blog is definitely helpful to others wanting to become pregnant but are afraid of the what ifs. I know that after suffering through a miscarriage, my last pregnancy was completely different. I knew of too many other women and their horrible experiences and you are right that can really mess with your head, bu you have to keep things into perspective. Kudos to you for trying & doing things to help you put one foot in frog of the other after sufferig such a horrible loss of your precious Cara.
Laura,
You are one smart cookie! "Every day that baby is inside of you safe is a day to rejoice!" You got that right!!! I couldn't have said it better myself. I am so thankful for the ten weeks and five days that I have been given with this little one so far and I pray for many, many more. You are an inspiration and I am grateful to know you! Congratulations on that beautiful baby boy! I am excited to see pictures of the two of you in about seven weeks:)
Love,
Mary
What a good honest, positive post!!
Thanks. That really does help. I'm so scared to try again but as long as God tells me to keep trying I will. But it's just so hard to take the chance. Thanks for posting this!
This is a great post! It's hard imagining what another pregnancy will be like and you explained the fears really well when you wrote about how exposed you become to not only your own condition, but every other possible pregnancy issue under the moon! But you also spoke about percentages and recognizing how we are all in the minority, not in the majority. With agressive monitoring and treatment, problems can be identified earlier - if, like you said, they even appear at all. I'm so happy that this pregnancy is smoother sailing and I hope that it continues to do so. You look beautiful in all your pictures and since you have a daughter who inherited those traits I can only imagine Carter is going to be one handsome little boy!
Dear Laura,
I am also a BLM. My baby died one hour after she was born at 39 weeks due to a medical error. It happened just 6 days after Cara lesft this world and I am also pregnant again. I am 28 weeks, just a little behind you and I like reading you because we have been through the same at the same time. I also get this comments about how I can remain positive and on how brave people see me. I wish you the best during this remaining weeks and you are an example of courage, a great woman.
Cheers from Mexico!
Post a Comment