When we left the NICU we were told they do not take returns. They like to see those babies stay home! Carter of course is the exception.
Last night around 11 I noticed my husband watching Carters chest. As soon as my husband gets concerned my radar goes up. Carters breathing was rapid, ans was just in general different. I watched him for an hour. Never stopped. I figured if my husband and I were questioning this, its enough to call.
Around 1am we called the on call doctor who was wonderful. We were told to head to the ER. At the ER his oxygen levels would go from around 87-100. They are supposed to be high 90's and stay there. The head of the NICU came in himself to look at Carter as not many babies are "returned" after leaving the NICU. That is when we learned he would have to be readmitted. OF COURSE I was told that was rare...which in return meaning simply nothing to me. Everything about my life is rare. I just want to be normal. Live a normal life with a normal son.
The NICU doc said there are three things he is looking at as a possibility. 1. Its normal. Its Carters normal yet "abnormal" breathing pattern. 2. A paralyzed diaphram on one side which is causing him to breathe harder. Which I believe is surgical intervention. 3. A heart issue.
Carters blood gas levels were fine. Chest xray fine. No infection. So, now we wait on a Echo of the heart as well as a test to see if this is his diaphragm.This makes me believe that it was not the TTN, that he may have never had that to begin with.
Last night when they settled him into his room it was around 5am. So I am guessing you could say it was today. We had not slept in 24 hours. We had to go home to rest. We asked if we could stay at the hospital with him, but all the rooms in mother baby were full. We will ask again today. I do not want to leave him. It was so incredibly hard seeing him back in there. Its like walking backwards.
I just want to move away from this and I cant seem to get far enough away.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









10 comments:
So sorry Laura. Sending prayers your way.
Oh I am sorry to hear about Carter, I'll be thinking of you guys and Carter and keeping fingers crossed for a quick recovery to go back home
I hope you guys get answers soon babe. I cannot even believe that he is back in the NICU, however hard it is (I cannot even begin to imagine) he is in the best hands. They will take wonderful care of him & hopefully soothe will be back in your arms. Get yourself some rest & I am going to continue to pray that he gets better soon. Hugs to you!!
I am praying for little Carter, you and your husband. Praying for the doctors to figuare out what is going on quickly and that you will be back home in no time.
I am so sorry this is all going on. I had no idea because I passed out last night at 1230 and have my phone on silent. I wish I were up to be texting with you. I feel like a bad friend. But when I woke up at 7 I read your texts and then sent texts right away.
That has got to be so scary having him readmitted. I hope and know and pray that they will be able to do testing and find out if and what the problem is. I am hoping it is just his "norm of unnormal breathing patterns".
This is so hard as being a mom, noone wants to see their baby in and out of the hospital. I know, how you feel, we just want a "normal" life as we know it is. Love you and I am here for you always! Hope you get answers SOON oxoxxo Give Carter a kiss & hug!
I am praying for your precious baby boy. I am sorry that you have to go through this. I am praying that your gorgeous boy will be completely healthy and home with you in no time.
Please get well soon Carter!!! I will say extra prayers for you and your family today.
laura,
my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Hopefully everything will check out and that this is just Carter being silly hyper active breather or something. I am so sorry that things have gone this way...hugs-
I'll be thinking of you my dear friend.
~Felicia
Laura, I will be sending up lots of prayers for you sweet Carter. I will also be praying for a room to open up. My son was in the NICU for two weeks, so I know how heartbreaking it is every time you have leave your little one behind.
I'm so sorry to hear this! I hope that can figure out what is going on quickly and make him better. I'll be thinking about you!
Post a Comment