Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, March 7, 2011

& were off...to the NICU

Carter was doing fabulous! He is perfect in every way possible.

Last night at 1am, they were doing his car seat test, and he failed. I was so surprised to hear that. He is breathing too fast and his oxygen is around 80%. They typically like it to be around 90%. His heart rate drops low sometimes as well. He is also breathing very fast at times. We don't know at this point what is really wrong. Nurses are saying this can be transitional for 36 weekers. I am praying to god that he will only be in there a few days. I know many of other BLM's that go on to have their rainbows in the NICU for months, before I could only imagine, now unfortunately I share in that pain as well. The unknown is the worst! The waiting is horrible. Its only been hours, I can't even imagine months.

I am being discharged today, but I am not leaving this hospital. I do not want to leave a hospital for the second time without my child. I dont know if I could do that. I am able to stay here in my room after being discharged, but will not have any nurse care, so its basically like a hotel.

Please keep little Carter in your prayers. I will be updating as much as I can.

18 comments:

Jill said...

Big hugs to you Laura! I hope they find out what is going on and that he will only have a day or two in there. I hated hearing Sadie had a day in the NICU , I kept saying I CANNOT go back in the NICU, because I dealt with Naomi in there. But yet, I would have done whatever it took as long as she came home someday. Bighugs and I will be thinking of you Laura. Carter is going to be okay, I just know it! xoxoxox

Abigail said...

I truly hope you get answers as to what is going on with precious Carter. I will continue to pray for you & Carter. I now know that even though you have delivered you are not in the clear...yet. I have no doubt that all will be alright. I think it is wonderful that you are able to stay in your room even after being discharged so you can be close to Carter. I hope he can come home very soon with you & Kyle. Love you all very much. Keep us updated as best you can & let me know if you need anything

Jessica Goodpaster said...

I just wanted to tell you to hang in there. I frequent the PreE boards (had it with my first) and have visited your blog numerous times. I was prego with my second and due Feb 12, but had him Jan 9 (5 weeks early). He was 5lbs 14 oz, and was healthy other than the fact that he failed the car seat test 3 times. They finally sent us home with a car bed and he had to retest after 2 weeks. With my little guy he just got a little to stressed sitting for the 90 minutes and his oxygen levels would fall for longer than the 20 seconds allowed. I was discharged before him as well, and it was pretty difficult.
Hang in there, he's gonna do great! :) Jessica

Jennie Exposito said...

Praying for you both! I hope he gets to come home very soon! Mazio was in the nicu for 6 weeks and it was torturous but at least he came home and was healthy. I'm sure it just a transitional thing for his gestation like your nurse said. He'll be home and in his new nursery before you know it! That's so nice that they are letting you stay! It sure does help a lot. I lived in the nicu!

I echo Jill, I know that Carter is going to be okay and in his home before you know it! So happy for you and your family! Congrats again!! :)

Susan said...

Hope he's not in the NICU long. But, better to be safe than sorry. We had the same room-in arrangement when Jenna was born. I was D/C on Friday and she was not D/C until Sunday, but I stayed in my room until she was ready to leave (but she was in the room with us under the bili-lights - she wasn't in the NICU). Hope you all get to go home in the next few days! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Rachel said...

I am praying for you. Praying that you have the strenth to get through this and that the doctors find out what is going on with Carter quickly. ((HUGS))

Dana said...

I will be praying for him. My nephew was born at 36 weeks and weighed 7lbs. He was jaundiced and had some breathing issues. I don't know exactly what they were, but he was there for a week. He is now 2.5 and is perfect in every way. Carter will be too.

The Mac's House said...

Oh my goodness! I read the past 2 posts in tears. I am so happy that you made it thru delivery and that Carter for all intense purposes is doing well. I will say prayers for him today that he overcomes whatever is bothering his breathing issues.

:) Teri

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and Carter and your DH.
Great birth story-Can't wait to hear your first night at home with Carter story.
Standing on the wrong sides of the "odds" will always make you fearful.

Angie said...

:( I'm sorry to hear this. I hope they figure it out or it fixes itself soon!

Big Love, Big Acceptance - or so I say said...

Thinking of you and Carter.

Tiffany said...

oh my goodness mama. I cant even imagine what you are going through. I wouldnt leave without a child {again} if it were me. Can you tell me more about this car seat test? They didnt do anything like that at my hospital. This is the first Ive heard about a car seat test. I have heard that some newborns have trouble breathing while in the car seat but didnt know about tests that were performed. Thats a great thing. Praying babys stay is short and that he is home with you soon. <3

Tabatha said...

thinking of you.. prayers going up!!! ((hugs))

TanaLee Davis said...

Like everything said before me...I'm sure Carter will be fine...This too shall pass...I'm sure that your baby boy is fine. i am so sorry that he is in the nicu...I understand how scary that is. Just trust that he is okay and hold onto what ever faith you have. It's nice that the hospital will let you stay longer...I have never heard of that. Congrats again-
Felicia

Anonymous said...

Congrats...no I will not say it will all be ok, just know that one of my twins had similar problems, and was able to come home once she relieved she was supposed to breathe regularly. Her brother liked to forget often too, but both are now 17 months...so it can happen, and still be ok in the end. Just wanted to make sure you know that sometimes things do turn out ok. Good luck, keep us posted.

Raquel said...

Wow...I was plesantly suprised to hear that Carter made his enterance. You are definately an inspiration. Congratulations!! I will be praying for him. Can't wait to hear updates!

Hugs!!

Rebecca said...

First of all, congratulations on the birth of your Carter! He is so adorable! I was just thinking of you today and wondering how you were doing. :) I am sorry that he is in the NICU. I am praying that he will not be there for long and will soon be on his way HOME <3

Congratulations again and I will be thinking of you and Carter and praying <3

Joelle said...

First of all Congratulations on the birth of your gorgeous son, Carter is absolutely beautiful.

I'm sorry to hear he's in a the NICU, I know you are both strong and you will get through this too and hope you will soon be taking him home with you.
You are both in my prayers.
Joelle
xx