Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Status Quo

Everything is pretty much the same over here. Carter did get his EKG results back. They were fine. However the doctor did say it showed a narrowing of an artery, but it was nothing to be concerned about. Oh yah ok...me not be concerned about that? If its not normal...Im concerned.

Tomorrow we will meet with a Cardiologist as well as a Pulmonary specialist. I am just looking for answers. Im prepared if it's good, I am prepared if it is bad. I just want something to grasp...anything.

I only had ONE normal day in Mother baby with my son, then it all went haywire. I walk past all these rooms and hear babies crying, and then once again I am stuck without mine. I am craving normalcy. I think I deserve that much right? Last night we went to the ER at 1am and did not come home until 6am, woke up at 9 to check on Carter, and by noon I was up pumping and getting ready to go see our boy. So really I am running on empty.

My husband lost it today in the car...just crying...and he is the strong one. We are just so scared, we know all too well that anything can happen.

As for Carter I will give you all some medical "stuff" so if any of you have experienced something similar we would love to hear your feed back.

*Carters 02 levels fluctuate between low 80's and 100. Rarely 100, hardly low 80's. If they do drop to low 80's they go right back up...but of course after he takes some heavy breaths. When they go back up they are around 94. They pretty much stay around 94.

* Carters blood ox level I believe was 59 so a bit elevated.

*EKG came back nortmal with exception of the narrowing of one artery, (mild)

*Chest Xray normal.

The doctors seemed stumped, calling him a mystery. He is eating, pooping, peeing, crying and looks 100% healthy.

I guess they are still saying that there is still a chance that this is nothing, that he just breathes abnormally, and he will grow out of it. There is a chance that he is still transitioning and getting used to the outside world as a preemie. We just don't know.

My husband and I are staying at the hospital in mother baby again. We spend more our day updating people and with Carter. I hope we can stay till at least wednesday so we can get more clarification on what is going on.

10 comments:

Jill said...

Awe Laura, this brought tears to my eyes. Hearing that your husband cried. I send you all my love and support and prayers. I really honestly do.

Have you spoken to Ashley? Maybe she may have some input on it? Also, I am thinking it may possibly just be his way of breathing but I know youd and they wanna get that knocked out the way and be sure thats what it is. I hope you get some answers tomorrow or when these doctors come.

I will be thinking of you all as always.

Btw, I really do see Cara more so in your sweet Carter. xoxo both of your sweet babies. Hang in there Laura. prayers all over!

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

Saying a prayer. This is so frustrating. You deserve normalcy! How unfair to have more scares. Thinking of you three.

Abigail said...

I am hoping & praying that it turns out to be something a simple as him growing out of his "abnormal" breathing. I think it is absolutely wonderful that the hospital is allowing you both to stay there while Carter is in the NICU. I cannot even imagine of unimaginably difficult it is on you guys right now having had Carter home, only to have to head back to the hospital. He is in the best possible place to find answers, and hopefully you will get some tomorrow. Keeping you all in my prayers. Get the rest you will need to have a clear head & be able to obsorb whatever info the doctors share with you all. Hugs

Anonymous said...

praying that everything turns out fine, and that you'll have Carter home again soon!

Malory said...

Oh Laura I know I said this to you today already but I am just so sorry you are having to go through this. This is not fair. I hope Carter's oxygen level rises & stays put asap. I hope you get answers soon. I hope you are home with your baby boy soon & do get your normal as quickly as possible. Thinking of you all.

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura, I have been following your blog for some time. The days you are overcome with joy I am so happy for you and the days you cried I am right there crying with you. You may not believe this, but you are one powerful mama I only wish I had your strength.

My son at one month old was diagnosed with a heart murmur. His pulmonary value is narrowed moderately. We did the EKG and we have ultrasounds done every 6 months. Now that he is two we go every 8 months. The main thing I want you to take away from this is my little boy could have experienced what your little guy is going through..so even though the doctors may not think it might be a big deal that could be a caused it is worth looking into. I know I wasn’t much help, but I hope it helps a little. My little boy was born at 37weeks on a Monday (I turned 37 weeks on a Sunday so just shy of 36weeks). I will continue to add you into my prayers tonight.

Angie said...

These boys just have to keep us in suspense and worried, don't they?!?

Almost worse than having something seriously wrong is knowing there is something not quite right but not what it is. I really, really hate that.

I'm praying that they figure it out, that it will be something simple and not serious, and Carter will be home with you and breathing normally right away.

Suzanne said...

He is so beautiful. Keeping you guys in my thoughts.

Sarah Davies said...

HI
CONGRATULATION on the birth of Cater. I have been following your story for a long time and I am so glad for you.

We had hellp with our first and she spent a month in the nicu. Was horrible and i still shudder when i think of our time there. i really feel for you, and i can remember those feeling of wanting to have some "normal" things happen.

My advice to all nicu mothers is really what i wish that i had done with my daughter.... hold them skin to skin as much as you can. all day if you can. it helps regulate their systems and some times this is just what they need... mum or dad to lead the way. heaps of research supports this and they should be encouraging you to do this on the unit!!

remember that it is your child ( sounds silly but we really handed her over to the nicu as we were SO freaked out) and if you want to hold them, then do it. get them to explain everything and if you are not sure or don't know why they are doing something, make them explain it.

it is HORRIBLE when they say thing such as we don't get returns.... not from what i have heard. my friend had a nicu baby and went back to hospital a week later and we had to take molly back 2 weeks later for a hernia that they missed.

hang in there. my thoughts are with you. it is really hard having a baby in the nicu.

The Anglin Family said...

Saying a prayer for precious, precious Carter. He is beautiful. I'm praying that the doctors are able to find done answers for you as well as peace and comfort for you.
My daughter laiken had a hard time with the breathing.. She does have a murmur and had swallowing problems. Her milk was going into her lungs. It was all very scary. I never slept, I was always watching her.
Hoping Carter will be back out in no time and can stay at home with his mommy and daddy!